-
March 4th, 2017, 01:10 AM
#11
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 511E horns on Ebay
I think I've had 4 sets of A7's.
500, 800 and 1200 hz.
416-8A, 416-8B
800hz and 500hz horns.
Followed all of Jim Dickenson's instructions to make better.
I liked them, but never loved them.
It's pretty sad, I can't remember where three sets went.........
Seems to me Jeff that you could just cover the sides tops and bottoms of yours with an additional 3/4" of not so expensive plywood.
Brace the horn flares......
Of course you may never be able to move them again. :-)
I remember somewhere in some book I have.....A7 enclosures being made in concrete and were part of the house. On either side of a fire place.
FWIW, I think very careful speaker placement and a properly treated room are a big part of the equation but are seldom mentioned.
Ron
Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972
-
March 4th, 2017, 02:20 AM
#12
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 511E horns on Ebay
Hi Ron,
Thanks for your comments, appreciated !! My Altec and Hi Fi mentor, Dennis Fraker, will not let me laminate plywood on plywood, he says there will be voids and its just not the best way to do it. I will follow that advice.
I'd build one inch EuroPly and build from scratch, and use no bracing inside IF I were to proceed.
I follow him ( Dennis ) a lot. He was in the Movie Theater business, most of his life, and he used to use eight A7s in venues he owned. He serviced 100s of movie theaters in his day, and was / is an avid audiophile. I still like to hear from you experienced ALTEC guys, to get your honest perspectives, which I appreciate learning from.
I think, with the types of amps Dennis and I can build these days, ( SET DC two stage, JJ 2A3-40 Finals) I could be very happy with either a GPA 604 MLTL. or an A7-800.
I AGREE with you 100% about finely positioning the enclosures in the room. Thank you for reminding me !!
I have LOTS of experience with that Ron, from 1978-88 when I did the big Fulton ( Premiere) speaker set ups, in my home, and on the West Coast, in the field. As little as 1/16th of an inch was discernable to us, with good electronics and wiring ahead of the speaker.
About three weeks ago, I " switched walls " in my apartment's living room, so both A7 enclosures would be equally loaded with corners, equal corners.
Once I get the new mono amps done, and tuned, the next step will be to finely position the speakers. Can anyone suggest what I do with 290 pounds of concrete tiles on each one !!!! :-) :-) Obviously, most will have to come off for positioning exercises.
I'll need to treat the wall behind me also, because I intend to listen near field, and the rear wall will interfere. Is it ATS and GIK panels???.... I think so, gotta look into them.
Ceiling-Wall corners, behind each A7, will have triangular pillows tacked up.
I will likely use " Uncle Stu's " barriers, so each A7 does not " see the other ". It was written up in the Audio Asylum, and here, following, is a URL that will lead anyone with an interest, to Stu's post.
Audio Asylum Thread Printer.
Whoops, I see that leads to a blind alley. here is the first thread.this works:
pool table tweak - unclestu - Tweakers' Asylum
I have tried that in January 2017, and it works well, noticeable on voice, big time, more cohesive. No WAF to worry about !!
Also, in 2017, i will surely run flower pots on top of each speaker, positioned on top - near-field, by ear. You can a view the flower pots Dennis positioned on his GPA 604 MLTS in October, RMAF show, in the photo from the Reichert's Stereophile review. Works well !!
Golly, much to do ahead. Having a really good amplifier, gives me confidence that I will be pleased. Amps, not speakers, are the weakest link in my entire audio experience. Most ....are simply terrible sounding to my ear. But everything matters.
Jeff Medwin
Last edited by LowOhms; March 4th, 2017 at 02:53 AM.
-
March 4th, 2017, 02:59 AM
#13
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 511E horns on Ebay
511E horns or related, Jeff? A new post would be the way to go.
Last edited by mah; March 4th, 2017 at 03:13 AM.
Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.
-
March 4th, 2017, 03:24 AM
#14
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 511E horns on Ebay

Originally Posted by
mah
511E horns or related, Jeff? A new post would be the way to go.
Shame on us for drifting off topic.
Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972
-
March 4th, 2017, 03:25 AM
#15
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 511E horns on Ebay

Originally Posted by
mah
511E horns or related, Jeff? Remember the OT rule.
Malcolm, we are talking about audio and ALTECs here, and Ron discussed room treatment, as part of this thread, and of having a VOTT work, or not work.
What is the OT rule precisely? Where can " I " read about it? And how rigid do we want to be with it, when discussing ALTEC and implementations?
The Pool Table tweak of Uncle Stu's, and The Flower's tweak of Dennis', has to do with room treatment, which Ron brought up in the natural course of this thread. I would think that some, certainly not all of the people on this Forum, would find it as new and possibly interesting thing to look into, if they care to do so.
If it helps someone, enjoy their ALTEC listening more-so, that would be great IMHO.
I've heard both, on Altecs, so I am not just re-hashing things I read on line, and not tried.
Jeff Medwin ............................. Low Ohms
-
March 4th, 2017, 04:20 AM
#16
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 511E horns on Ebay
Joff, Ask the Moderator.
- - - Updated - - -
OT.
Ron, we all meander around the OP topic, somewhat, but aim to be true to the declared purpose of this Forum - see Masthead.
However some may use the Forum to repeatedly advance their personal viewpoint(set-pieces) above all others - no validation proffered.
Repeated trolling, Trojan Horse suck-ins, thread bombing, thread flooding, denigrating those with reasonable differences of opinion and shameless disparaging remarks about members have to be challenged.
You may disagree or not. So be it.
I know I'm not alone, here, and I am prepared to say it.
Last edited by mah; March 4th, 2017 at 06:12 AM.
Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.
-
March 4th, 2017, 08:59 AM
#17
Senior Hostboard Member
Mah's Topic
However some may use the Forum to repeatedly advance their personal viewpoint(set-pieces) above all others - no validation proffered.
Repeated trolling, Trojan Horse suck-ins, thread bombing, thread flooding, denigrating those with reasonable differences of opinion and shameless disparaging remarks about members have to be challenged.
You may disagree or not. So be it.
I know I'm not alone, here, and I am prepared to say it.
So, what you are saying then is that you feel this forum is poorly operated, and moderated. They are doing it wrong.
I suppose the fact that a member can come in and drag any thread he chooses off topic into a discussion of rules and moderation, sometimes singling out other members for his objective should stand as evidence to me that the rules and more strict moderation are needed. But, interestingly, if i edit out mah's posts, then complaints as well as actual incidents relating to a lack of rules and moderation are pretty scarce.
It seems as though you want to be the cause to a solution. Why not just come talk Altec and related audio, and leave the rules and moderation to the forums that actually need them.
This is and always has been a well self moderated SMALL community. Actual moderation is required maybe once a year if that. The small, relaxed, and casual atmosphere is a big part of the attraction for many members.
Mah, it seems like you almost feel obligated to register an off topic gripe anywhere you see that the Altec user's board doesn't adhere to the precise rule and conduct structure of other, much larger audio forums.
At the end of the day what you want to do is impose more work and duty on those whose generosity and time provides this forum for us. Isn't that what grampa called "looking a gifthorse in the mouth"?
If Todd and John aren't getting tired of, and offended by your continued hammering of the rule subject, they sure should be.
Maybe you should PM Todd and offer to buy the website and forum name from him, then you can operate it anyway you like, banning everyone except Romy.
I know i'm not alone here, and i'm prepared to say it.
This post best viewed with some Tom Petty playing in the background on your ALTECS!
Last edited by bowtie427ss; March 4th, 2017 at 09:06 AM.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
-
March 4th, 2017, 12:53 PM
#18
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 511E horns on Ebay
Hello,
I want to comment on two of Malcomb's statements:
(1) " However some may use the Forum to repeatedly advance their personal viewpoint(set-pieces) above all others - no validation proffered. "
This is the United States of America, and it is a country where Freedom of Speech is protected and indeed advocated. If I "feel" a certain way about an audio topic, and express myself honestly on a Forum, ( and importantly - as a result of my lifetime's listening experiences ), it should not ever be a " bad " thing, even if it runs counter to mah's way of thinking ... or training.
" No validation proffered " is totally incorrect. I have referred you all to my October 2016 RMAF show experience with Dennis Fraker, Herbert Reichert, and myself, alone in the Serious Stereo room.
Malcolm, did you read Reichert's review?? A guy in the hotel corridor tells Reichert to go into the Serious Stereo demo room and listen, because ...its the " best sound in the show". Reichert writes Dennis up as his FAVORITE room, out of 100s of audio exhibits, and also says, the " best attitude, sound, etc etc " of anyone he encountered that weekend ."
A good review in Stereophile magazine, or The Absolute Sound, is a form of validation I would suggest to all. Given the depth and breath of the audio industry, and that review, I would say that I can post with "some" validation.
(2) You write : "Repeated trolling, Trojan Horse suck-ins, thread bombing, thread flooding, denigrating those with reasonable differences of opinion and shameless disparaging remarks about members have to be challenged."
Re: " denigration " I have had a reasonable written-exchange with Todd White, and I told him I would no longer denigrate other Members. I was guilty of that in the past. I apologize. I certainly have not done so in this thread, nor do I intend to, going forward.
The first four terms you write, are basically terms did not exist when I was a kid, pre-Internet. They are not in my vocabulary, but they sure sound bad to me!! If I fully knew what they meant, perhaps I could comment.
Probably the best simplest solution is, you not be allowed to respond ( directly ) to any of my posts, and vice versa. We can both express ourselves honestly, and freely contribute up here, and not bump heads foolishly. How about if you and I agree, gentleman's agreement, to do precisely that? Don't pester the Moderators. The Forum will be better as a result of this.
Low Ohms.... Jeff Medwin
PS, If anyone tries the Dennis Fraker " Flower Pot " tweak, have someone else, a good listener, sit in the normal listening chair, while you set the flowers into the best ( compromise) position, listening near-field - flowers on top of your ALTEC. The listener behind you will confirm the positioning. I was able to do so, ( with a stellar front end ) in Denver in October 2016, and it was very neat to experience.
Last edited by LowOhms; March 4th, 2017 at 01:12 PM.
-
March 4th, 2017, 01:08 PM
#19
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 511E horns on Ebay

Originally Posted by
RonSSS
Shame on us for drifting off topic.
a little off topic here but, a car that lends itself nicely to drifting are the A-body fastback dart and dusters. `I'm thinking about putting a Voice of the Highway system in mine
Last edited by Phil-G; March 4th, 2017 at 01:30 PM.
Sonic Barbarian
-
March 4th, 2017, 01:27 PM
#20
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 511E horns on Ebay
Gee whiz, all I wanted to do was point out that there were two sets of 511E horns on Ebay.
BillWojo
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks